Friday, August 16, 2013

Arrow Rests: No Sleeping Allowed!

The arrow rest is what it's name implies.  It's where the arrow is hanging out before it's flight into the wild.  Yet simple, it has a critical role in determining the trajectory of the arrow and the amount of friction placed on it. There are few different types of arrow rests that are available.  The most commonly used are the whisker biscuit and the drop away rests.  My first arrow rest was the whisker biscuit and now I'm using a drop away rest.  A whisker biscuit is comprised of a disc of plastic whiskers with an hole in the middle for the arrow to rest. Few of the nice things about the whisker biscuit is that it's inexpensive, has a simple concept, and was very good at keeping the arrow locked in place.  However, when I was using a whisker biscuit with my bow, I was having problems with the rest throwing off the arrow trajectory. No matter how the rest was adjusted the bow wouldn't paper tune.  The archery shop that I frequent also tried a new whisker biscuit and the bow still didn't tune.  I had it switched to a drop away rest and this fixed the problem.  A drop away rest consists of a two prong device that holds the arrow in place and drops away when the bow is fired.  The nice thing about a drop away rest is that it eliminates friction and interference with the arrow trajectory.  One thing I had to get used to was keeping the arrow on the rest with a drop away, whereas the whisker biscuit had a full circle of whiskers around the arrow to keep it in place.
Whisker Biscuit Arrow Rest

Drop Away Arrow Rest


Key Tips:
  1. The whisker biscuit arrow rest is an economic choice if your just starting out.
  2. Make sure you have an archery shop tune your bow if you plan on changing out your arrow rest.
  3. Add felt to the fork of a drop away arrow rest.  This will help eliminate noise when placing an arrow into the rest.


No comments:

Post a Comment