Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bow Sights: Aim is the Name of the Game

Sometimes when I'm adjusting my bow sight, I think of primitive hunters using a long bow gauging their shot just by sensing where to aim.  I was at a sports show recently trying to shoot a compound bow with no type of sight whatsoever, and boy was it difficult even trying to hit the darn target. I must give credit to those who can accomplish this feat of instinct.

The bow sight is a device mounted on the riser of the bow that contains pins typically with different colored tips (different colors for different distances).  A bow sight is used in conjunction with a peep sight mounted on the upper half of the bow string.  When aiming the shooter looks at the pin through the peep and the pin is placed over the intended target.  Nowadays, most bows are outfitted with fiber optic lighted pins with built in levels to make sure your bow is not tilting left or right.  Who knows, maybe in the future, sights will have built in range finders with built in nano motors to automatically adjust the pin.  There are two different types of sights for compound bows that I'm aware of, and these are the single pin and multi-pin sights.  Choosing a type of bow sight is based on personal preference. They both have their share of advantages and disadvantages.   The advantage of a single pin sight is the elimination of accidentally choosing the wrong pin, whereas the disadvantage is that it needs to be adjusted when shooting at different distances.  I personally use a single pin sight, because I like the idea that I can choose from a wide range of distances; I also don't have the best vision in the world and I would more than likely choose the wrong pin.  When choosing your sight make sure you try out several types and see which one best fits your liking.  Try to imagine yourself using the sight when your confronted with your prey.  Last thing you want is to be fidgeting with your sight and making noise when an animal is 25 yards in front of you.

Multi-Pin Sight
Single Pin
Sight












Key Tips:
  1. Check out several types of sights before settling on one. Understand all the features and try it out at an archery range.
  2. When aiming it's best to have the pin floating over the target instead of trying to hold the pin steady.  Not only is this humanly impossible to keep the pin steady, but it also throws the shot off when over compensating to keep it dead still.
  3. When sighting in your bow you'll want to adjust the sight pin in the direction the grouping of arrows is from the point you were aiming.  So if the grouping is to the right of the aimed point, then adjust the sight pin towards right. 
  4. Make sure your bow sight has a level, this helps keep the bow straight which helps prevent the arrow from shooting off to the right or left.

Terminology:
  • Peep Sight - a ring typically made out of rubber that is attached to the bowstring which the shooter looks through at the pin lined up on the intended target.  Technically a peep site is not required but it does dramatically help with shooting accuracy.


No comments:

Post a Comment